The Leavenworth-McClaskey Scholarship was established in 1998 by Dr. Richard D. Leavenworth, Professor Emeritus of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) at the University of Florida, and Mr. David J. McClaskey, Senior Technical Associate of Eastman Chemical Company and a 1972 Honors Graduate of the ISE Department at the University of Florida. Both individuals were strong advocates of the principles of Total Quality Management (TQM) and Continuous Improvement (CI). Dr. Leavenworth co-authored the book titled Statistical Quality Control with Dr. Eugene L. Grant from Stanford University. Mr. McClaskey led a TQM/CI program for Eastman Kodak. They established this scholarship to encourage and recognize students who apply TQM/CI principles in pursuit of their engineering education.
A $1000 scholarship will be given annually to an ISE undergraduate student who:
- has made significant contributions toward improving ISE Department, College of Engineering, or University of Florida through their extracurricular activities;
- has an excellent academic record, and
- has consistently helped other students achieve self-improvement.
- Eligibility Requirements:
- An applicant must major in Industrial and Systems Engineering with an overall GPA of at least 3.2.
- An applicant must have completed at least 18 credit-hours of upper-division courses while classified as an ISE student (courses during the current semester counts toward this 18-credit-hours requirement)
- An applicant must enroll as a full-time ISE student in at least one fall or spring semester following the award of the scholarship.To apply, complete and submit the form below. At end of the form, attach the following (as PDF or WORD documents):
- Application Deadline: February 19, 2018
- A one-page essay describing your interest in a career in industrial and systems engineering, extracurricular activities, and specific examples when you used TQM/CI principles to help other students, ISE Department, or College of Engineering.
- A copy of resume that includes a list of extracurricular activities while at University of Florida.
- A copy of unofficial transcript from On.UF