Information for visas of entry in Greece can be found here.
Most travelers to Greece arrive in the airport of Athens (International Airport Eleftherios Venizelos). From Athens, there exist two ways to arrive in Crete and, more specifically, Chania. There are also a series of direct flights from Great Britain, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Poland and Norway to Chania offered by RyanAir. It is also very important to notice that during the high season (April to early November) there are charter flights from across the Europe from Great Britain, Germany, Scandinavia and other European countries.
From Athens the following two options are available:
- Flight from Athens to ChaniaFrom the airport of Athens, there exist everyday flights to the International Airport of Chania (I. Daskalogiannis). The two companies that serve this route are: Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air.
- Ferry boat from Piraeus to ChaniaPiraeus is the major port of Greece, the largest passenger port in Europe and is located next to the city of Athens. Starting from the port, you can reach Chania with a ferry boat in 6-10 hours depending on the ferry boat size. The routes from Piraeus to Chania are performed on an everyday basis, however their frequency as also the demand is much higher during summertime.
The airport of Chania is situated 14 km away from the city of Chania. The conference venue is located in the picturesque village of Kolymvari which is not normally served by a bus service. There is however a shuttle service offered by the hotel during summertime. Normally, one would have to use a taxi in order to reach the Orthodox Academy of Crete with a cost of 50-60 euros. The trip takes up from 20 to 30 minutes, depending on congestion. There also is a taxi service which proved to be very helpful during other conferences at the same venue.
For travellers arriving in Heraklion, Crete:
1. Bus from Heraklion to Chania (KTEL in Greek). The time it takes for the bus to reach Chania from Heraklion is 2 hours and 45 minutes. The cost for a one-way ticket is 15 euros. The timetable for every day is as follows:
05:30* 06:30 07:30* 08:30 09:30*
10:30 11:30* 12:00** 12:30* 13:30*
14:30 15:30 16:30* 17:30 18:30*
(* not on Sunday)
Then, from the central bus station in Chania, you will have to change bus and take the one that goes to Kolymvari. It is a 40 minute bus ride. Once in Kolymvari, the Orthodox Academy of Crete is within 1.5 kilometers, which you can do by either walking, local bus or taxi.
2. Taxi rent from Heraklion to Chania (about 200 euros, which can be shared with other participants).
3. Car rental. A number of companies exist and they can be found also within the Heraklion airport.
In case you require further information or assistance with your arrival in the conference site, please do ot hesitate to contact me at email@example.com. I could help you with either one of the above options or could even pick you up from the airports in Crete in case all other options fail.