Refereed Journal Articles
- X. Zhong, M. Liang, R. Sanchez, M. Yu, P. Budd, J. Sprague, M. Dewar. “On the effect of electronic patient portal on primary care utilization and appointment adherence,” BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, DOI:10.1186/s12911-018-0669-8, 2018.
- X. Zhong. “A Queueing Approach for Appointment Capacity Planning in Primary Care Clinics with Electronic Visits,” accepted, IISE Transactions, https://doi.org/10.1080/24725854.2018.1486053, 2018.
- X. Zhong, A. M. Prakash, L. Petty, and R.A. James, “Bottleneck Analysis to Reduce Information Flow Delay in Primary Care to Specialty Care Referral Processes,” accepted, IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, DOI:10.1109/TASE.2018.2847293, 2018.
- H. Lee, X. Zhong, J. Li, P. Bain, and A. Musa, “Joint Service in Primary Care Clinics: Modeling, Analysis, and an Application Study,” IISE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering, DOI:10.1080/24725579.2017.1418766, 2018.
- Y. Feng, X. Zhong, J. Li, W. Fan, and Shaw C. Feng, “Closed Loop Production Lines with Geometric Reliability Machines: Modeling, Analysis, and Application,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, DOI: 10.1109/LRA.2017.2784547, vol. 3, no. 2, pp.704-711, 2018.
- Y. Feng, X. Zhong, J. Li, and W. Fan, “Analysis of Closed Loop Production Lines with Bernoulli Reliability Machines: Theory and Application,” IISE Transactions, DOI:10.1080/24725854.2017.1299957, vol. 50, no.3., pp. 143- 160, 2018.
- X. Zhong, S. Lee, H. Lee, C. Zhao, P. Bain, T. Kundinger, C. Sommers, C. Baker and J. Li, “Reducing COPD Readmissions through Predictive Modeling and Incentive-based Interventions,” Health Care Management Science, DOI: 10.1007/s10729-017-9426-2, 2017.
- X. Zhong, J. Zhang, and X. Zhang, “A Two-Stage Heuristic Algorithm for Nurse Scheduling Problem with Fairness Objective on Weekend Workload under Different Shift Designs,” IISE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering, DOI: 10.1080/24725579.2017.1356891, 2017.
- X. Zhong, P. Hoonakker, P. Bain, A. Musa, and J. Li, “The Impact of E-Visits on Patient Access to Primary Care,” Health Care Management Science, DOI: 10.1007/s10729-017-9404-8, 2017.
- X. Zhong, H. Lee, and J. Li, “From Production Systems to Healthcare Delivery Systems: A Retrospective Look on Similarities, Difficulties and Opportunities,” International Journal of Production Research, DOI: 10.1080/00207543.2016.1277276, vol.55, no.14, pp.4212-4227, 2017.
- X. Zhong, J. Li, P. Bain, and A. Musa, “Electronic Visits in Primary Care: Modeling, Analysis and Scheduling Policies,” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, DOI: 10.1109/TASE.2016.2555854, vol.14, no.3, pp.1451-1466, 2017. (IEEE CASE Best Student Paper Award Finalist)
- X. Zhong, H. Lee, M. Williams, S. Kraft, J. Sleeth, R. Welnick, L. Hoschild, and J. Li, “Workload Balancing – Staffing Ratio Analysis for Primary Care Redesign,” Flexible Service and Manufacturing, DOI: 10.1007/s10696-016-9258-2, 2016.
- X. Zhong, J. Li, S.M. Ertl, C. Hassemer, and L. Fiedler, “A System-Theoretic Approach to Modeling and Analysis of Mammography Testing Process,” IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society, DOI: 10.1109/TSMC.2015.2429643, vol.46, no.1, pp.126-138, 2016.
- X. Zhong, J. Song, J. Li, S.M. Ertl, and L. Fiedler, “Design and Analysis of Gastroenterology (GI) Clinic in Digestive Health Center of University of Wisconsin Health,” Flexible Services and Manufacturing, DOI:10.1007/s10696-015-9215-5, vol.28, no.1, pp. 90-119, 2016.
- X. Shao, X. Zhong, J. Li, B. Grewertz, K. Catchpole, E. Ley, J. Blaha, and D. Wiegmann, “Bottleneck Analysis to Reduce Surgical Flow Disruptions: Theory and Application,” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, DOI: 10.1109/TASE.2014.2329833, vol.12, no.1, pp.127-139, 2015.
- J. Wang, X. Zhong, J. Li, and P.K. Howard, “Modeling and Analysis of Care Delivery Services Within Patient Rooms: A System-Theoretic Approach,” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, DOI: 10.1109/TASE.2013.2242326, vol.11, no.2, pp.379-393, 2014.
- L. Wang, X. Zhong, and M. Liu, “A Novel Group Search Optimizer for Multi-objective Optimization,” Expert Systems with Applications, DOI: 10.1016/j.eswa.2011.08.155, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 2939-2946, 2012.
- X. Zhong, J. Li, G. Rao, and K.P. Unnikrishnan, “Growth Curves of American Children Differ Significantly from CDC Reference Standards,” Stochastic Modeling and Analytics in Healthcare Systems, pp.281 – 305, J. Li, N. Kong and X. Xie Ed., World Scientific Publishing, 2017.
- Z. Zeng, X. Xie, X. Zhong, B. Liegel, S. Sanford-Ring, and J. Li, “Computer Simulation Modeling of Hospital Discharge Process,” Stochastic Modeling and Analytics in Healthcare Systems, pp.113 – 134, J. Li, N. Kong and X. Xie Ed., World Scientific Publishing, 2017.
- X. Zhong, M. Williams, J. Li, S.A. Kraft, and J.S. Sleeth, “Discrete-Event Simulation for Primary Care Redesign: Review and a Case Study,” in Healthcare Analytics: From Data to Knowledge to Healthcare Improvement, pp.399-426, H. Yang and E.K. Lee Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2016.
- J. Li, S.M. Meerkov, and X. Zhong, “Lean Buffer Design in Production Systems,” in Formal Methods in Manufacturing, pp.477-502, J. Campos, C. Seatzu and X. Xie Ed., CRC Press, 2013.
- X. Zhang, and J. Zhang, and X. Zhong, Workforce scheduling, International Patent Application, WO2017093827, Priority date: Nov 2015 [link]
- Z. Shu, and J. Zhang, and X. Zhong, Simulation-based systems and methods to help healthcare consultants and hospital administrators determine an optimal human resource plan for a hospital, International Patent Application, WO2016135023, also published as US20160253463, Priority date: Feb 2015 [link]
- X. Zhong, and J. Zhang, and Z. Shu, System for scheduling healthcare appointments based on patient no-show probabilities, International Patent Application, WO2016135587, also published as US20160253462, Priority date: Feb 2015 [link]