Links to Research Profiles
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Magee, E., Karaca, M., Lawrence, A., Escoto, E., and Alvarado, M. “Machine Learning Applied to Walk-In Demand Prediction for University Counseling Center.” University of Florida Journal of Undergraduate Research (2019), to appear.
- Ejaz, Iqra, et al. “Condition-Based Maintenance for Queues With Degrading Servers.” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering (2019). DOI: 10.1109/TASE.2019.2893870
- Alvarado, M., Cotton, T., Ntaimo, L., Pérez, E., and Carpentier, W. “Modeling and simulation of oncology clinic operations in discrete event system specification.” SIMULATION (2017). DOI: 10.1177/0037549717708246. ( Editor’s Choice Paper February 2018 )
- Alvarado, M., Foster, M., Gonzalez, P., Ortega, P., Kum, H., and Lawley, M. “Barriers to implementation of remote health technologies for diabetes care: a systematic review.” J Med Internet Res 2017;19(2):e28.
- Alvarado, M. and Ntaimo, L. “Chemotherapy appointment scheduling under uncertainty using mean-risk stochastic integer programming”. Sept. 2016. Health Care Management Science. DOI: 10.1007/s10729-016-9380-4. ( Awarded 1st Place in 2017 INFORMS MIF Paper Competition )
- Alvarado, M., Ntaimo, L., Banerjee, B., and Kianfar, K. “Reducing pediatric medication errors: A survey and taxonomy.” IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering, 2.2 (2012): 142-155.
Submitted To Refereed Journals
- Ntaimo, L., Alvarado, M., and Lulli, G. “Fenchel disjunctive decomposition for mean-risk stochastic mixed-integer programs.”
- Khatami, M., Alvarado, M., Kong, N., Parikh, P., and Lawley, M. “Optimal inpatient discharge planning under uncertainty.” Submitted to EJOR, under 2nd review.
- Alvarado, M., Zhang, Y., and Lawley, M. “Rational Penalty and Incentive Mechanisms for Hospital Readmissions.”
- Alvarado, M. and Ntaimo, L. “Integrated simulation and optimization for oncology clinic operations.”
- Lahijanian, B. and Alvarado, M. “A stochastic programming approach to reduce hospital readmissions.”
Manuscripts In Preparation
- Feng, H., Alvarado, M., and Lawley, M. “Sequential Clinical Scheduling with Patient Re-entrant: The Case of Mohs Micrographic Surgery”. (2018) Target journal: POMS.
- Burns, P., Alvarado, M. “Discrete-Event Simulation for Mohs Micrographic Surgery”. (2018) Target journal: Simulation.
- Marcal-Lopes, J., and Alvarado, M. “Rapid Review: Application of Optimization in the Supply Chain of Vaccines.”
- Lahijanian, B., and Alvarado, M. “A Statistical Analysis of Penalty vs. Incentive Designs for Hospital Readmission”. In Proceedings of the 2019 IISE Annual Conference and Expo, Orlando, FL, May 18-21, 2019. Paper no. 627068.
- Alvarado, M., Lawley, M., & Li, Y. (2016, December). Healthcare simulation tutorial: methods, challenges, and opportunities. In Proceedings of the 2016 Winter Simulation Conference (pp. 236-247). IEEE Press.
- Alvarado, M., Zhang, Y., and Lawley, M. “Hospital readmission reduction strategies using a penalty-incentive model.” In Proceedings of the 2016 IIE Annual Conference and Expo, Anaheim, CA. May 21-24, 2016. Paper no. 1596: 1-6.
- Igbinoba, O., Ly, M., Alvarado, M., Avnet, M., and Lawley, M. “Enablers and barriers to remote health technologies: a stakeholder analysis.” In Proceedings of the 2016 IIE Annual Conference and Expo, Anaheim, CA. May 21-24, 2016. Paper no. 1425: 1-6.
- Ly, M., Igbinoba, O., Alvarado, M., Avnet, M., and Lawley, M. “Socio-technical challenges to the adoptions of remote technologies in healthcare.” In Proceedings of the 2016 Conference on Systems Engineering Research, Huntsville, AL. Mar. 22-24, 2016. Pages 1-9.
- Alvarado, M., Cotton, T., and Ntaimo, L. “A simulation and optimization approach to scheduling chemotherapy appointments.” In Proceedings of the 2013 Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation, and Education Conference, Orlando, FL. Dec. 1-5, 2013. Paper no. 13029: 1-11.