The College of Engineering requires that all engineering students have access to a mobile (notebook) computer for engineering courses in order to be able to function in the current learning environment. Students are required to access electronic forms of information, submit assignments and communicate with other students and faculty electronically. A number of university computer labs are also available for use.
Department of ISE requirements
- Microsoft Office Professional
- Microsoft Visual Studio
Regarding these software packages, we require that students buy MS Office Professional upon entering the department. Students should buy the following other software packages when they take the courses requiring them.
- Microsoft Office Professional XP (www.microsoft.com).
- Matlab (www.mathworks.com): Matlab Student Version (Release 12) available at the Hub. It can also be purchased from the Mathworks website.
- Minitab (www.minitab.com): Minitab Student Edition (Release 12) available at the Hub. One can also buy a 12 month license from www.e-academy.com.
- Arena: This software comes free on a CD with the textbook of the couse in which the software is used.
The university has negotiated economical purchasing contracts with several computer vendors, and these prices are available at the University of Florida Bookstores’ Technology Hub.